Apply to participate in NewsMatch 2021
NewsMatch is a collective fundraising campaign designed to transform how communities support and sustain the journalism that serves them.
The program is powered by three core pillars:
- A matching gift campaign from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31 that sparks giving to nonprofit newsrooms and ultimately increases community impact
- Learning resources and experiences that helps newsrooms strengthen fundraising capacity, expand their giving pipeline, and increase the dollars coming into their organization
- A public awareness campaign that engages new supporters and highlights the impact of quality journalism
The application process is now open for newsrooms to apply to participate in NewsMatch 2021. View the Application Guide and answers to commonly asked questions for additional information. The deadline to apply is Monday, July 12 at 11:59 pm PT.
While only active INN members can participate in NewsMatch, you may still apply as a provisional INN member or as an organization pending review. The deadline to apply for INN membership or renew your annual membership in time to be eligible for NewsMatch 2021 is June 30, 2021.
For additional questions about the NewsMatch application process, review NewsMatch FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important changes to the NewsMatch program design
Building off a record year in 2020, the NewsMatch team took a moment to reflect on the program’s challenges and opportunities. How might we evolve NewsMatch to strengthen long-term fundraising capabilities in the nonprofit news field?
Each survey entry, focus group, personal email, and one-on-one conversation with INN members about this topic have been invaluable to us — helping to identify the existing impact of NewsMatch and ways the program design can be strengthened.
As a result, here is a summary of key NewsMatch 2021 guidelines and offerings:
- The distribution of national dollar-for-dollar match funds will be concentrated amongst newsrooms with operating expenses below $1 million in the prior calendar year (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2020)
- All INN members of any size remain eligible to receive goal-based bonus awards and partner funds
- INN is working to develop and integrate resources to help newsrooms build their local match funds
- Time-saving resources and messaging materials like the NewsMatch Campaign Toolkit will remain available to all newsroom participants
- NewsMatch will be sunsetting the use of GiveGab after NewsMatch 2021 (currently newsmatch.org) and supporting organizations with resources to adopt or improve their own donor platforms this year
To learn why and how we made these changes, please review answers to commonly asked questions or view the recording of our past webinar on this topic. You may also contact email@example.com with additional thoughts or questions you may have.